Thursday, July 2, 2009

The GREAT METRO Sale and A(H1N1) at McDonalds?

I want to write something different today.
Last night I went shopping as Metrojaya was having a Member's promotion by giving better discounts.
I won't bore you with my shopping cart but there was an interesting incident in the payment queue.
There was this Chinese national in front of me and while waiting to pay, his wife or GF came and passed him a sports shirt. Now I'm guessing he was from China as they spoke quite loudly in a rough sounding language. What he did was a little startling -he promptly remove his shirt and tried on the merchandise - yeah guys can go about bare-chested but it seemed so low-class and out of place.
The shirt was not suitable so the woman passed him another selection and the queue was subject to another fleshy display.
The guy was about late 40 to 50 and payed with his gold credit card. The card looked pretty new and was not even signed by the card-holder.
Payment was approved and then came another interesting episode. The guy and his wife kept pondering over the payment slip. He was looking for his bank's logo on the payment slip and I guess he was wondering why the amount was not in his currency instead of the ringgit.
The Chinese supervisor tried to explain but I observed she too was puzzled by his questions. Luckily the delay lasted only a few minutes and the couple accepted what little explanation was given. I remarked to the Cashier that he was probably using his credit card overseas for the first time.
As I had to get some trousers altered - they are always too long, I passed them to the girl and she told me to return in 30 minutes.
That's when I decided to treat myself to some McDonalds' ice-cream. There was no one at the counter but within seconds, the guy who was handling a broom came over and took my order. He was not wearing gloves while sweeping and he did not wash his hands before he grabbed hold of the ice-cream cone.
Then he put the paper liner on the cone and filled it with ice-cream. The only good thing was the guy was not fussy about collecting the RM0.05 that I did not have and he charged me only RM1.
It seems that some McDonalds outlets do not teach/train staff adequately about hygiene. I ate the ice-cream but discarded the cone.

No comments: