Wednesday, January 6, 2010

malaysiakini and GOVERNMENT Meddling in RELIGION...

So the ALLAH controversy goes a step further with the government having succeeded in obtaining the stay order that is not unexpected.
Most Malaysians expect that the CoA will grant round 2 to the government but others wonder What's next in 'Allah' row?.
One basic problem in Malaysia is that the silent majority who make up the bulk of the populace are not active in politics or current issues but to me it is time for them to think carefully about the issues and at least write a letter to the press and malaysiakini and their MPs. Otherwise like PPSMI issue in education, the vocal minority will hijack your future and the future of your children.
I think I have written enough about the ALLAH issue but this article is about a very human dimension of religion in Malaysia.
This happened a few days before Christmas when I was shopping at Tebrau City Jusco in JB. The mall was playing Christmas carols and I think the carol being played was "Deck the Halls with Boughs of Holly".
I was looking at some items on a shelf and I heard a guy humming along. I looked at him and saw a Malay with his family - the wife was wearing a tudong and she kind of hushed him gently. As he was walking away, he turned back and gave me a sheepish grin and I smiled back at him.
He looked in his late 40s but I am not sure if he was Malaysian or Singaporean.
Then there was another Malay with his cute daughter who was enthralled by the presents on the Christmas tree - she brought a few ornaments to my wife who was waiting to pay at the cashier. My only concern was the chance of her getting an electric shock from the lights.
So do you think a ban on Christmas carols and decorations will be next on the agenda?

No comments: